Covid Story

Author: Share:

Covid Story

In my first Covid Story, I talked about the scare I had when I speculated I had contacted covid and the adverse effects of googling your symptoms. When the covid pandemic started, no one expected it would last this long and completely change the world we live in. The first case of covid was reported on 12th December 2019 in Wuhan, China, so it’s exactly two years since the pandemic started, and it doesn’t seem like the end is in sight with the various variances of the disease springing forth. 

After my covid scare in March 2020, the second time I went for a covid test was when I was preparing for my trip to the United States to start my program in Cyber Security at Tri-C. As part of the center for disease control requirements, you have to present negative covid-19 test results, and the test must be conducted seventy-two hours before your trip. I went for my covid Altigen test 72 hours before my travel date and had a nasal and throat swab. I was confident the results would be negative because I was fully vaccinated by the National Health Service at the UK embassy in Nigeria and had a certificate. However, after 24 hours, the hospital sent the test results to my email, and it turned out to be positive for Covid-19, to my surprise. This was my biggest shock for 2021. 

How did I contact covid? do I have to self-isolate? Will I miss the opportunity to travel to the united states? I had so many thoughts going through my mind as I was overwhelmed with sadness. I started calling the lab repeatedly to find out if there was a mix-up in the results. It was 2:00 am, and no one was taking the phone. I couldn’t sleep. Eventually, I got to the lab at 6:30 am and was told that the lab scientist would resume at 8 am. I waited anxiously in an area designed for those under quarantine. When the lab scientist arrived, He was told that I was waiting for him. He immediately informed me that another email was sent to me with my original results as there was a mix-up with the first result sent. I checked my email, and there it was, an email from the hospital at 3:00 am apologizing for the mix-up with a negative result attached. It was a big relief, and I had to take some minutes to process the whole situation. It wasn’t a pleasant experience, but I always have a good laugh when I remember it now. 

Previous Article

Studying in TRI-C as an International Student

Next Article

Covid Diary

More from The Voice

Leave a Reply