Smoke Scare Has B-Building Closed Until Friday
By Bronson Peshlakai
The Tri-C Western Campus was evacuated Thursday, Oct. 24, after smoke was seen emanating from the basement in the B-section of the Liberal Arts Building, said Lt. Alliston Moreland.
Three engine trucks, and a ladder truck from the Parma Fire Department responded to the smoke call around 1 p.m. Doug Turner, public information officer, said firefighters scanned the basement with thermal-imaging cameras in an attempt to locate the source of the smoke, but nothing conclusive was detected.
Turner said the smoke smelled like it was prompted by an electrical source, and Moreland said he thinks a faulty breaker could have caused the smoke.
Moreland said the college was taking an extra precautionary measure by shutting down the B-building for the rest of the day. Tri-C notified students via its Mass Notification System where students learned of the closure either by an automated text message, or phone message.
Police and maintenance staff will be situated in the building for the rest of the day, and all night, “to check for any flare-ups of any kind, or if more smoke or a fire happens,” Moreland said.
Check back at CCCVOICE.com for continuing coverage of this incident. The B-building is expected to be open for classes Friday morning if Campus Police gives the OK.